How Does Shopify Works? 9 Things You Must Know
How Does Shopify Works? 9 Things You Must Know
- August 3, 2018
- Posted by: Editorial Staff
- Category: Uncategorized
What is Shopify
Shopify is a SaaS technology that provides multi-functional tools.
It helps to build online stores in a few clicks only and lets you manage everything from a single platform.
Shopify became the number one choice for merchants who don’t possess extensive online retailing experience.
The platform has the easiest UX with an unlimited number of options for users. Hence, making the platform all round for online retailers.
Shopify is not the cheapest but offers a variety of reasonable plans. Merchants can select the one that fits right to their business.
It’s packed with many extensions and help for countless third-party apps. It helps you to set up your store in your favor anyhow.
Why its so Popular?
Shopify has become a go-to eCommerce platform in a short time. Considering the competition in the market, Shopify made sure it stays at the top by offering a cutting-edge solution to the users.
There are many reasons for which Shopify became a reliable platform for online retailers. Here are 20 reasons which we picked up after survey-
- Thousands of beautiful themes
- Integrates with 3rd party’s like PayPal and Stripe
- Offers awesome theme for blogs and contents
- Maintains and tracks customer data accurately
- Performs fluently just like a normal website CMS
- SEO friendly and customizable for keywords
- Integrates with 3rd party email marketing platforms
- You can add coupons and discount codes
- Offers HTML and CSS Editing options
- You can put a “By Now” CTA on external sites
- Offers POS Integration
- You can make a customizable profile for your employees
- Offers live chat integration
- You can create gift cards for your store
- Offers advanced reporting options
- Built-in abandoned cart feature
- You can integrate it with help desk software’s like zendesk
- Offers analytics reporting
- Includes shipping carrier integration
- Not the cheapest but has a variety of prices for startups
How does Shopify work?
Shopify is the easiest online store builder with the most number of features. The process of launching your store is pretty straightforward and here is how it works-
1.Sign up: Visit Shopify website and create your account. It takes very few details, and the process is simple to understand.
2. Choose a them: There are thousands of amazing Shopify themes both free and paid. Choose the template that explains your business best.
3. Start building: After selecting the theme to proceed to the drag & drop builder. Use the tons of tools provided with the builder and make the necessary changes.
4. Edit settings: Shopify allows changes to many critical and straightforward areas. Here are some of the standard features
- Logo upload
- Slides on homepage carousel upload
- Adding multiple functionality to product page
- Select how many items appear on each line of the collection pages
- color schemes
- font choices.
5. Adding products: Once you’re done with the above, now you can ad start adding products on your store. You can put a description with each of your products. Including titles, images, stock details and much other information.
6. Set Payment Gateway: Shopify allows you to integrate a third-party payment gateway. It includes renowned platforms like Stripe and Paypal.
7. Get a domain name: You can directly buy a domain from Shopify or get a domain from a third party like GoDaddy or NameCheap.
8. Publish the site: When you have finished selecting, designing, adding products and configuring payment gateway, you are all set to put your on live.
It how Shopify works, to help you build your online store without the help of any tech genius. You don’t have to be a highly skilled programmer or even need to have any experience to use Shopify.
Must know things about Shopify
Shopify is a trustworthy name amongst all the online store building platforms.
Though it’s not the cheapest solution in the hood, you will get enough options to create, launch and manage a successful online store in a few clicks only.
Here, I am going to discuss nine critical things you must know while using Shopify. These are crucial things to know if you are using it already or want to use it.
1. Is it an ideal choice?
Shopify is an ideal choice for you if you want to launch an online store, or if you are already in business and selling products physically, but want to broaden your business horizon by selling products online too.
Shopify serves a lot of industries such as art & photography, clothing & fashion, jewelry & accessories, electronics, food & beverages, home & garden, furniture & household, sports & recreations, toys & games, etc.
Any product, gadgets or widgets that you want to sell online, Shopify can make it happen quickly. Shopify is a high tech platform that removes all the complexity of technology and only lets you experience the better piece. So if you are-
- Looking to sell online in the shortest time
- Looking to Get started only in few clicks and dive in to the market
- Not hiring a developer and want to build your store on your own
- Not having lot of interest in technical aspects or coding
- Looking to build a store that looks awesome, friendly and advanced .
Shopify is without a doubt the ideal eCommerce platform you should use. You can spend more time on areas such as marketing, product development, customer satisfaction, branding, product sourcing, etc.
It also allows you to integrate your POS system if you have an offline store with Shopify. You can convert your iPad into a sales channel and hook it up to your cash register.
Your customers will be able to browse through product catalogs, and you can manage credit card transactions as well.
So the bottom line is, if you are planning to sell online, either big or small, Shopify is always an ideal choice that lives up to its promise.
2. Is it flexible enough?
Shopify has all the tools you need to build your online store. Period!
But it’s not magic that will happen in a snap of a finger. Users do spend some hours to get a grasp on the tools. Once they know how to play with it, its a clear road from there.
You as a user always have cavalry to face off any issues while using Shopify. The platform ensures 24/7 support both online and over the phone.
Here is a short video tutorial to build your first store on Shopify-
You don’t need to be a coding guy or a tech person to use Shopify. Here is a list of tools on Shopify that allows you to control and manage your store on your own fully-
- Customize shipping rate
- Major payment processors
- Abandoned cart reduction tool
- Customer data import and export
- Content management system
- Free and paid premium themes
- Keyword placement on product pages
- Setup discount codes and coupons
- Tools to edit CSS and HTML
- POS integration
- Set up staff accounts
Shopify has all the tools and features you need to build an online store from scratch. So you don’t need to bother or spend excessive time in brainstorming. The smooth functionality of Shopify makes everything flexible for you.
3. Doest it offer enough apps?
Shopify comes with built-in tools and covers all of your needs. From building a store to managing it, everything is smooth and in your control.
However, you may still want to make some improvisation to your store. There is always room for improvement and customization.
For that reason, Shopify brought you their extensive app store. You can find over 1200 apps in the Shopify app store each providing a different action.
You can use these apps to add more functions to your online store and automate a lot of your tasks related to your business.
For example, to improve customer service, you can add a live chat function to your site. You can also add a review and rating widgets.
There are apps too which can automate your inventory management accurately. Hence you don’t have to spend time manually to process orders.
For all these tasks, you can find useful apps in the Shopify app store. All are 100% working and comes in both free and paid versions.
Though using third-party apps may cost you a little more, the benefits are way more valuable. You can add features which directly impacts your sales and conversion.
4. How many themes are available?
Shopify has an extensive set of themes suitable for any business. There are more than 100s of templates available for users.
All the themes look professional and elegant. It helps the users to build trust and credibility with their customers.
Shopify has both paid and free themes for the users. Users can choose the right fit for their business.
The paid themes have a price range starting from $140 to $180. Though it may look little expensive, on the brighter side this is a great deal.
Shopify designs are proven to be great for conversion. So users don’t mind paying a little more for themes that can bring 10x.
However, you can still use some awesome free themes too. The free Shopify themes have been helpful to startups having a tight budget.
So overall, Shopify stands tall regarding themes and templates against other platforms. All through it’s not the cheapest solution but does give you results.
5. Is it good for mobile eCommerce?
Shopify is excellent for mobile eCommerce. Unlike other eCommerce platforms, Shopify provides a full-fledged built-in mobile eCommerce shopping cart.
This feature helps your visitors to browse your site on mobile devices and buy your products pretty quickly right from their mobile options.
You can use the Shopify App almost anywhere from any mobile device. It allows you to manage your store operation right from your couch.
You can check your sales details, customer data, manage orders, products, customers, staff and many more right from your mobile.
6. Can it help on checkout abandonment?
Did you know that more then 70% of your visitors never return to your site if they leave?
90% of your shoppers do add products to their checkout cart but somehow backs off from purchasing.
It could be due to a complicated checkout process, extra costs and many other random reasons.
Thats the reason why you may end up in losing millions of $$$$.
Shopify, in this case, has proven to be a concrete solution for merchants. Its abandoned checkout cart recovery feature merely is phenomenal.
This feature remembers and keeps track of the email addresses your buyers entered. Then it sends reminder emails after few hours of their cart abandonment.
You can schedule the email sequence as you prefer. The timing you select will remain fixed and work accordingly.
7. What are the hosting and security options?
Shopify gives you access to an unlimited amount of bandwidth. You can host your online shop on Shopify and don’t have to pay anything extra for that.
Even you have millions of visitors coming into your shop; you only pay for the plan you purchased on Shopify.
Shopify manages the hosting process for you. So this gives you plenty of time to focus on other vital areas of your business.
Shopify handles all their security upgrades for their servers. They manage all the technical details and makes sure that your website is always up, active and secured.
Your online shop will be fully PCI compliant, and your shopping cart will include industry standard 128-bit encrypted SSL certificate. It ensures the security of your shop’s information on Shopify.
Furthermore, Shopify keeps back up of all your data.
8. What are the support options?
Shopify support is world class. They got your back any time, anywhere, whatever you need.
You get 24/7 support from a dedicated team. Ensuring all your queries are answered.
Shopify backs you up by dedicated live chat support, over the phone support and email support. Moreover, the Shopify community is full of experts who would answer your questions. You will find tons of helpful information in there that can solve most of your issues.
9. What is the cost?
Shopify is not by any chance the cheapest eCommerce solution. There are plenty of other cool platforms which could be cheaper for you and also got enough features to work with.
Yet, Shopify is the most popular and trusted platform for eCommerce. Why?
Thats because despite of being expensive, it gives everything you need to start, run and manage your online store with great flexibility.
Here is a breakdown of features with pricing-
|Feature||Shopify Basic||Shopify||Advanced Shopify|
|Transaction fees||External Gateway 2% & Shopify payments 0||External Gateway 1% & Shopify payments 0||External Gateway 0.5% and Shopify payments 0|
|Abandoned cart recovery||No ( But apps can be used )||Yes||Yes|
|Advanced report builder||No||Yes||Yes|
|Domain||Not available. However, you can buy one through Shopify for $13/year or redirect an existing domain.|
|Real time carrier shipping||No||No||Yes|
|Support 24/7||Email, Chat, Phone||Email, Chat, Phone||Email, Chat, Phone|
|Email accounts||Not Available. You have to use your own email hosting provider to manage your email addresses which can be unlimited.|
|Info||Only US though may vary slightly for other countries|
|Credit Card Rate ( Shopify Payments )||2.9% + 30¢*||2.6% + 30¢*||2.4% + 30¢*|
If you analyze the pricing and features, you can see that the long-term results will be much more profitable against the money you are spending on any of the Shopify plans.
Over to you now
Shopify is the numero uno for merchants who want to sell online. It is full of features, functions, and options which are specifically for your needs.
You may find a cheaper solution, but Shopify stands out in delivering long-term benefit like no other platform.
The critical factors discussed in this post will help you more to decide if you are about to use Shopify.
If there is something else to mention, feel free to share it in the comment section.