5+ Best WordPress Featured Image Plugins
5+ Best WordPress Featured Image Plugins
- July 4, 2019
- Posted by: Editorial Staff
Featured image on WordPress is more than just an image or media file. It helps you elaborate more about the content in a rather pictorial way. Thus, we’ve compiled a list of the best WordPress featured image plugins on this post.
We covered both premium and free plugins that offer features, such as bulk operations, shortcode implementation of featured images, auto alt text, size customization, and more. They also allow you to fetch featured images stored on other sources via URLs.
And that’s not all.
Each of the plugins listed below is fully responsive, offers frequent updates, and supports recent versions of WordPress. However, before we get started, let’s help you learn more about WordPress featured images and how to add/remove them.
What Are WordPress Featured Images?
A featured image is like a media file you can add to WordPress. But, it deserves more special treatment.
This type of image can help you grab visitors’ attention. It entices users into reading your content and improves the visuals of your articles. Featured images play a significant role in social media sharing as well. Therefore, you shouldn’t neglect the importance of featured images in WordPress.
Not very long ago, many of the popular WordPress themes didn’t have support for them. Only the most careful developers were smart enough to introduce featured images into their themes. Others had to pretty much code the feature themselves.
However, times have changed. Most of the themes now are fully ready for featured images.
Where Do They Appear On Your Website?
Typically, a featured image will find its place right under the spotlights of your homepage. They’re basically thumbnails that represent the entire post. Thumbnail is simply another name for a WordPress featured image.
By choosing a featured image for a post, you’re able to set the tone of your story. While a good image may tempt a user into reading the entire post, a bad one will repel an average visitor.
Depending on the theme you are using, a featured image can appear above or below the title. It can come up in different dimensions, depending on the developer who worked on the details.
Again, based on the theme, a featured image can be used elsewhere. For instance, if you add a widget to display your most recent articles, post thumbnails can be used to add more styles to the widget. This will help you gain more attention from the visitors.
How to Add a Featured Image?
Before we introduce you to the best WordPress featured image plugins, let’s show you how to add them manually.
Note: This method only applies if your theme has the option to add featured images.
Just in case you cannot find the image tab, consider checking your screen options:
- Add a new post (You can also edit an existing one)
- Scroll all the way up
- Click “Screen Options” in the top right corner
- Make sure to check the “Featured Image” box
On a fresh, new WordPress site, scroll down to the bottom right corner of your sidebar, and you’ll find the featured image tab. Now add your first post thumbnail:
- Click the link that says “Set featured image” in the “Featured Image” box
- Take a good look at your Media Library window
- Choose any image you have or upload one from your computer
- Once picked, click “Set featured image,” and you’re done!
That’s it! You can now see the preview of your image in the Featured Image box. Also, you can check how it looks like in the post by hitting the “Preview” button on top.
How to Remove/Replace a Featured Image?
Sometimes, you’ll want to remove a post thumbnail or probably replace it. Whether you’ve found or created a better image, it’ll take only a few clicks to make the change:
- Hit the “Remove featured image” link in the “Featured Image” section below the thumbnail
- To set a new featured image, repeat the steps above for adding a post thumbnail
What If Your Theme Does Not Have the Option?
Most WordPress themes today come with the support for featured images. That said, some themes still don’t offer this nifty feature. To add the element manually, you’d require to have some basic coding skills.
Don’t worry! We have an amazing solution for you that doesn’t require any understanding of WordPress development. You guessed it! We’re talking about WordPress featured image plugins.
There are some top-notch WordPress featured image plugins that implement post thumbnails to your theme quickly. With these plugins, you can even allow WordPress to handle featured images automatically.
So, without further ado, let’s check out the best WordPress featured image plugins in 2019.
Top WordPress Featured Image Plugins
Dynamic Featured Image is one of the best and most trusted WordPress featured image plugins out there. The best part is that the plugin absolutely free of cost. It has a user-friendly interface that allows you to attach any number of post thumbnails on your site.
You can add several featured images to posts and pages. Also, you can define a different amount of featured images for various posts and pages.
- Dynamic Featured Image lets you have several different kinds of post thumbnails on a single post, page, or custom post types.
- You’re able to mention the title, alt text, description, caption, and other details about your featured images with ease.
- The “Media Selector” feature of this plugin lets you choose post thumbnails from your Media Library. You can also upload images instantly with the help of the “File Upload” feature.
- With the help of Dynamic Featured Image, you can set the featured image by calling a simple function.
- The plugin is completely free.
- It’s one of the most popular WordPress featured image plugins that holds over 90,000 installations on live websites.
- Dynamic Featured Image supports all the latest versions of WordPress.
- The developers have been providing regular updates since its release date.
Quick Featured Images Pro is one of the best WordPress featured image plugins on the market right now. It lets you manage featured images on your site with ease. The plugin helps you apply several options and customizations related to post thumbnails in bulk.
With this amazing plugin, you can add, delete, and even replace featured images from site pages, posts, and other locations. Also, you can automate several different default settings with Quick Featured Images Pro.
- Quick Featured Images Pro lets you perform bulk operations on post thumbnails easily (e.g., add, replace, delete, etc.).
- It supports multiple languages like Brazilian, Spanish, and Arabic, other than English.
- You get options to overwrite your existing images with new ones, attach an image to post, remove the first embedded image, and more.
- The plugin gives you several filters that help you apply many featured image changes on selected posts and pages.
- The single website license of Quick Featured Images Pro will cost you about $18. It will provide you with full access to all features and functionalities for 365 days.
- Unlimited websites license of this plugin demands a price tag of $93. It offers similar features and services, but with unlimited websites access.
If you’re looking to use featured images on your website from external sources, this is the plugin for you. Featured Image From URL is one of the few WordPress featured image plugins that let you add featured images on a site that are being fetched from third-party sources or URLs.
The plugin auto includes images in the post at places where the post thumbnail option is not available. Additionally, the lazy load feature helps to load images and other media files as the user scrolls down the web page.
- Featured Image From URL lets you incorporate an external image as your post thumbnail in posts, pages, WooCommerce products, custom posts, etc.
- It automatically includes a post thumbnail at the beginning of your content. That is when your theme doesn’t display the image itself.
- Each of your post thumbnails is displayed in a new column when a table of pages, posts, categories, and products is accessed.
- With this handy plugin, you can disable the product lightbox and zoom effortlessly.
- It’s free of charge and has over 30,000 active installations on the web.
- The plugin offers various advanced features, supports the latest versions of WordPress, and comes with frequent updates.
If you want more than just one featured image on posts and pages on your website, then this is the plugin you should consider. Multiple Featured Images is one of the most unique WordPress feature image plugins that let you display multiple images on your site via a widget or shortcode.
You can install the plugin with ease. It allows you to manage all the settings from your admin dashboard.
- Multiple Featured Images, as the name suggests, lets you add multiple post thumbnails to your posts, pages, and WooCommerce products on your site.
- It gives you the option to showcase post thumbnails with the help of widgets or shortcode
- The plugin has multilingual support.
- You can also define the featured image size and title with it.
- You can download it directly from WordPress.org for free.
- With over 10,000 active installations, this is a fairly popular plugin for post thumbnails.
#5: Featured Image
Featured Image is probably one of the simplest WordPress featured image plugins out there. It’s simple yet powerful. It lets you apply multiple featured images in various parts of your site via shortcode.
The plugin becomes a few clicks task as shortcode are already available. Furthermore, you can set images in the widget area too. Other settings and custom options like title, caption, and alt text are also present in this plugin.
- Featured Image provides shortcode support that lets you easily add post thumbnails in any part of your site.
- You can add post thumbnails to your posts, pages, and other sections of your site with ease.
- You can also define featured image alt text, caption, and more with the plugin.
- It lets you apply code both inside and outside the loop.
- You can download the plugin from WordPress.org for free.
- It’s designed for adding post thumbnails on WordPress websites.
We’re closing our list of top-notch WordPress featured image plugins with this versatile plugin. Featured Images for RSS Feeds lets you set post thumbnails of different sizes in various positions and at different places on your site easily.
Despite being absolutely free of cost, it’s easily one of the most popular WordPress featured image plugins in 2019. It has thousands of installations on the site and supports Feedly’s class for image usage.
- The plugin allows you to choose different post thumbnail sizes like medium, large, full-size, and even theme-specific sizes.
- It gives you options like different image positioning (e.g., image left above text, image centered above text, image right text wrap, image left text wrap).
- The plugin also lets you set images in your RSS feeds.
- You can define the spacing between the text and the images with this plugin.
- Comes with free of cost.
- Has over 30,000 active installations with a 5-star rating.
- Provides many features and functionalities with active support.
WordPress featured images are probably the most crucial media file type that you’ll have on your site. Thus, it’s important that they appear good too.
Having a beautiful image or a nicely computer-generated photo is necessary. But, you must do everything in your power to make it look as good as possible.
Luckily, you don’t need to be a developer or have a complete understanding of how WordPress works with its image processing. All you need is a simple plugin that will help you set new post thumbnails.
Did you find this article helpful?
Which of the above-mentioned WordPress featured image plugins are you using?
Feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions with us in the comments section below.